Suffering from an immune deficiency can make every part of your life difficult. It can feel as though there is no hope that you will live without suffering from allergies, infections, and other issues. The truth is that there are several steps you can take to improve the health of your immune system. Keep reading to learn about three of them and then contact Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology Medical Group at 805-658-9500 to make an appointment.
- Lower Your Stress This may sound easier said then done but there are some steps you can take every day that have been shown to lower stress. Something as simple as taking a walk, meditation for 15 minutes, or visiting with a loved one can all reduce stress levels – which can help the immune system work at its best capacity.
- Get Enough Sleep Not getting enough sleep can make a big difference in the strength of your immune system. A person who only sleeps a few hours per night is much more likely to get sick than a person who sleeps for seven to eight hours per night. Why? Because the immune system releases a protein called cytokine, which works to fight inflammation and infection.
- Do Not Drink Alcohol For most people, there is nothing wrong with having a drink once in a while. However, if you drink regularly, or drink many alcoholic beverages on the same day, it could have a big impact on your immune system. Alcohol can prevent white blood cells from getting rid of bacteria, which is why infectious diseases are highest among those who have high rates of alcohol usage.
- Do Not Smoke Cigarettes If you are a cigarette smoker and have not yet gathered enough reasons to quit, consider that it has a negative impact on your entire immune system. This is why many hospitals are not willing to do any non-emergency surgery unless the patient agrees to quit smoking first – because studies have found that smokers are much more likely to develop an infection after a surgery.
- Improve Your Diet What you eat has a big impact on your health. Choose vegetables and fruit more often than other foods. Avoid foods with high levels of fat or sugar. Eating this way is not complicated but it can feel difficult. Start by adding in more colorful products to your diet and enjoy the way it makes you feel.
- Do Not Wait to Get Treatment If you have an allergy or other ailment, do not wait to have a doctor help you. The sooner your condition is treated, the less it will negatively impact your immune system. You can contact Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology Medical Group now at 805-658-9500 to get started right away.