Take back the outdoors with treatment for bee sting allergy in Ojai CA.
Are you afraid to enjoy the outdoors because of your bee sting allergy in Ojai CA? You don’t have to be. You can get expert help managing your bee sting allergy from the qualified specialists at Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology Medical Group.
Symptoms of Bee Sting Allergy in Ojai CA
For most people, a bee sting will just cause a small, painful red bump. But for about 2 million Americans the reaction will be more severe. So how you do you tell if you are truly allergic to bees or just having a normal reaction? Look for the following symptoms that characterize a bee sting allergy in Ojai CA:
- Itching or hives beyond the site of the sting
- Swelling of the throat or tongue
- Difficulty breathing
- Stomach cramps
- Nausea or diarrhea
- Loss of consciousness
If you experience any of these symptoms, it would be wise to have your allergy confirmed with a skin test in our office. The test takes just 15 minutes and is virtually painless.
Treating Bee Sting Allergy
If you have bee sting allergy in Ojai CA, you should not just ignore the situation. Even if your symptoms were mild the last time you were stung, they will likely get more severe with each future sting. At Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology Medical Group, our experienced physicians can help you use the following 3 strategies to stay safe and healthy.
- Avoid: The first option to managing bee sting allergy is simply to avoid bees. This doesn’t necessarily mean you have to stay indoors all the time. We can help you understand how to get along with bees and reduce your risk of a sting.
- Prepare: While honeybees and bumblebees won’t sting unless provoked, Africanized bees can be more aggressive. So you should still learn what to do in the event of a sting, even if you will be adopting a careful bee avoidance strategy. For patients with severe allergies we can prescribe epinephrine, which can be taken immediately after a sting to prevent allergy symptoms from interfering with your breathing.
- Prevent: We also offer immunotherapy to actually help prevent severe reactions to bee venom from occurring in the first place. The treatment involves regular injections of a small amount of bee venom over the course of several years. This incremental exposure helps your body build a natural immunity much the way a course of vaccine injections would.
Ready to Learn More?
If you are interested in learning more about testing, management, or treatment of bee sting allergy in Ojai CA, please call 805-658-9500 now for an appointment.